Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
These are so delicious when warm and bubbly from the broiler. We often have these for a weekend lunch. Sometimes we use them for a quick dinner with a bowl of soup and green salad.
- 4 slices whole grain bread, toasted on both sides in broiler
- 3 large tomatoes, sliced
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 small green pepper, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 5 -6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 small onion, grated
- ground pepper, to taste
- Mix cheese, green pepper, Worcestershire, mustard, mayonnaise, onion and pepper.
- Place sliced tomatoes on toasted bread and divide cheese mixture evenly among them. Gently press cheese mixture onto tomatoes with the back of a spoon until tomatoes are completely covered.
- Broil until bubbling and golden brown.
This makes a wonderful side dish to a large bowl of soup! The flavor was fantastic. Thanks for the recipe! :)
Excellent. This would also be good with crumbled bacon and/or crab meat.
This was a great brunch today. Loved the combination of crunchy toast, tender juicy tomato and creamy cheese/mayo topping. It's a natural.