Recipe by woodland hues
A selection of fresh vegetables broiled with a sultry sweet-tangy sauce. This recipe originates in Our Canada magazine, and calls for grilling the veggies. A variety of other veggies could be used also.
Top Review by Millie1981
Excellent recipe! Very simple to prepare, and tasted great. My BF was skeptical about the glaze (thought it would be too sweet) but he loved it - he had a huge serving of seconds! I used light syrup and was afraid the glaze wouldn't thicken, but it worked perfectly. This is my new go-to veggie side dish when I need something quick and easy.
- 3⁄4 lb asparagus spear, trimmed
- 3⁄4 lb carrot, halved and quartered
- 2 small zucchini, halved and cut into thirds
- 1 large red pepper, seeded, cut into eights
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- For glaze, bring vinegar and syrup to boil in a small saucepan.
- Reduce heat and cook over medium heat, keeping an eye on it, until it begins to thicken.
- Set aside to cool.
- Place cut up vegetables in a large bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- sprinkle with seasonings and toss to coat.
- Broil vegetables 15 - 20 min, turning and stirring them around once.
- Brush with half the glaze and broil 6 - 8 min longer or until crisp tender.
- Add remaining glaze just before serving.