Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 mins
The mother of my best friend from school made these wonderful sandwiches. I have to omit the chopped onion for my husband, but please don't it really adds something to the taste. Recipe is for one sandwich only.
- Cook bacon and set aside to drain.
- Meanwhile toast 2 slices of bread on one or both sides.
- Put mayonnaise on both sides of bread.
- Assemble starting with bacon, onion and top with cheese on of the slices of bread.
- Put in broiler and melt cheese. As soon as you take out put the top on the hot cheese to seal.
I wanted to try this because it sounded SO good but I had to trim back on that 65% fat. I did that by cutting away all of the bacon fat and then cooking it in the microwave wrapped in paper towels, using fat free cheese, skipping the mayo entirely and pan toasting one side only of 100% whole wheat bread with a light skiff of a heart healthy margarine. I melted the cheese on the sandwich in the micro as the fat free just likes to burn when exposed to broiler type heat. The trimmed result was still delicious and a real treat since I almost never have anything like this. Made for the Diabetic Forum's Sept '10 Tailgate Party.
How could anyone NOT love this sandwich---bacon cheese and onion! YUM!