Recipe by LizzieBug
This is also great with asparagus. For a variation, add seasonings and grated parmesan to the bread crumbs and brown the topping under the broiler after the last step. Adapted from Mario Batali Holiday Food by Mario Batali.
Top Review by Abby Girl
I quite enjoyed this recipe....it had an nice earthy taste to it. I used Panko breadcrumbs, as that was all that I had on hand. You have to be an anchovy lover to appreciate this recipe....so it might not appeal to everyone. I cut the recipe in half to serve for 2
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Broccolini or 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli or 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli rabe
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 5 anchovy fillets, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim the broccolini into long stalks and bring a large pot water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the garlic and anchovies and cook 5 minutes, stirring often, until just golden brown and very fragrant.
- While the garlic and anchovies cook, plunge the trimmed broccolini into the boiling water and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain the broccolini well and add it to the pan with the garlic and anchovies.
- Cook the broccolini over low heat until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. (Go easy on the salt at first because anchovies are already salty.).
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and serve hot.