Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is also great with asparagus. For a variation, add seasonings and grated parmesan to the bread crumbs and brown the topping under the broiler after the last step. Adapted from Mario Batali Holiday Food by Mario Batali.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Broccolini or 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli or 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli rabe
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 5 anchovy fillets, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Trim the broccolini into long stalks and bring a large pot water to a boil.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the garlic and anchovies and cook 5 minutes, stirring often, until just golden brown and very fragrant.
- While the garlic and anchovies cook, plunge the trimmed broccolini into the boiling water and cook for 1 minute.
- Drain the broccolini well and add it to the pan with the garlic and anchovies.
- Cook the broccolini over low heat until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper. (Go easy on the salt at first because anchovies are already salty.).
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and serve hot.
I quite enjoyed this recipe....it had an nice earthy taste to it. I used Panko breadcrumbs, as that was all that I had on hand. You have to be an anchovy lover to appreciate this recipe....so it might not appeal to everyone. I cut the recipe in half to serve for 2