Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this recipe in a Penzey's spice catalog, and was by Joy Henkle. She has a winner! the photo was gorgeous, also. I made the mistake of only making half a recipe. Won't do that again! It went so fast I only got one serving. A very nutritious, and flavorful salad. Cooking time is for the bacon.
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into small bite-size pieces
- 8 pieces bacon, fried crisp, and broken into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped fine
- 3⁄4 cup slivered almonds (or cashews)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk ranch dressing
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- In a roomy bowl, combine broccoi, bacon, onion and nuts. Whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Pour over the salad and toss. (Or serve along side).
- Just before serving, add the cheese and toss again.
- flavor is better if the dressing is tossed with the salad half an hour before serving.
A bit different from the other broccoli salads....with the ranch dressing. This also didn't have raisins or cranberries. I enjoyed this very much, but I really wanted to add some raisins or cranberries.....lol. DS just gobbled this up. Made for Bargain Basement.