Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
My DH is threatening to throw away all of my old magazines so I am placing all of the recipes I can find here. This one is from Gourmet. I haven't tried this one yet, because I haven't had the panko bread crumbs. I love broccoli and this sounds like a lovely way to serve it...something out of the ordinary! **NOTE: I made this tonight and OMG is it good! I made my own breadcrumbs and went for it! It turned out GREAT!! The sliced garlic is a crisp little treat.......YUMMY GOODNESS!!!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli, trimmed and cut into florets
- 4 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese coarse bread crumbs)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- Put 1 inch of water in a 5-quart wide heavy pot, then put a steamer basket inside pot and bring water to a boil.
- Add broccoli and steam, covered until just tender, 8-10 minute.
- Meanwhile, cook garlic in oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally. Cook until garlic is a pale golden color, about 5 minute
- Stir in breadcrumbs, pepper, and salt, then increase heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally until crumbs are golden - about 3 minute Remove from heat and stir in zest.
- Transfer broccoli to crumb mixture in skillet and toss to coat.
What an excellent treat. Absolutely delicious. I made no changes and can't think of anything that needs improvement. My only suggestion would be to watch the bread crumbs carefully as they brown very quickly.
It's nice to see another way to make broccoli. My husband and I enjoyed it, but not our son. He didn't like the toasted garlic chips. Oh well, can't please everyone. Thanks for posting the recipe. :)
I was in the mood to try something different with broccoli and I'm glad I did. This was absolutely yummy. I had leftover breading from pecan crusted mahi mahi which was similar in ingredients and voilá. The addition of pecans was scrumptious. Thanks for a great recipe!