Recipe by SkinnyMinnie
My DH is threatening to throw away all of my old magazines so I am placing all of the recipes I can find here. This one is from Gourmet. I haven't tried this one yet, because I haven't had the panko bread crumbs. I love broccoli and this sounds like a lovely way to serve it...something out of the ordinary! **NOTE: I made this tonight and OMG is it good! I made my own breadcrumbs and went for it! It turned out GREAT!! The sliced garlic is a crisp little treat.......YUMMY GOODNESS!!!
Top Review by sugarpea
What an excellent treat. Absolutely delicious. I made no changes and can't think of anything that needs improvement. My only suggestion would be to watch the bread crumbs carefully as they brown very quickly.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli, trimmed and cut into florets
- 4 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup panko breadcrumbs (Japanese coarse bread crumbs)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Put 1 inch of water in a 5-quart wide heavy pot, then put a steamer basket inside pot and bring water to a boil.
- Add broccoli and steam, covered until just tender, 8-10 minute.
- Meanwhile, cook garlic in oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally. Cook until garlic is a pale golden color, about 5 minute
- Stir in breadcrumbs, pepper, and salt, then increase heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally until crumbs are golden - about 3 minute Remove from heat and stir in zest.
- Transfer broccoli to crumb mixture in skillet and toss to coat.