Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Tired of serving broccoli the same old way? Try something new and a little spicy! This recipe comes from Bon Appetit.
- Toast sesame seeds in heavy small skillet over medium heat until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside 1 tbs toasted sesame seeds.
- Place remaining sesame seeds in a spice grinder.
- Add salt and 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper; grind coarsely.
- Set sesame-red pepper mixture aside.
- Steam broccoli until crisp-tender, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer to large bowl.
- Add oil, 1 tbs reserved sesame seeds, remaining 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper and 2 tsp sesame-red pepper mixture; toss to combine.
- Serve, passing remaining sesame-red pepper mixture separately.
Maybe my peppers were a bit hot, but the brocoli got over shadowed a bit by the dressing. Next time I will cut the chilli a little, and add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice. But as Bev said, it really was a ice change from normal old brocolli. I would put the dressing over any green veg, eg. asparagus, beans or Brussels sprouts.
One of the best ways to have broccli I have tried! Adds alot of flavor to a sometimes bland vegetable! A great compliment to a meal.
I only steamed the broccoli about 4 minutes as we like it firm, not mushy. Great flavors though with the sesame added. Great recipe.