Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Recipe for Japanese Broccoli Goma-ae, originally seen on otakufood.com. For more variations, you can try using spinach, asparagus, or other green vegetables.
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon miso
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil on the stove. Once boiling add the broccoli and boil for 3 to 5 minutes until cooked through. Transfer the broccoli to a colander and drain well.
- Meanwhile heat a small pan on the stove on medium high heat. Once hot, add the sesame seeds and toast for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring the seeds every so often so they brown evenly.
- When the seeds are golden colored and fragrant, remove from heat and transfer them to a mortar and pestle.
- Grind the seeds while they are still warm. Once the seeds are ground, add the sugar, soy sauce and miso and mix well.
- Once the broccoli has cooled, add the broccoli back to the pot and mix with the sesame dressing.