Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
This is from one of my children's cookbooks, "Emeril's There's A Chef In My Soup!" It's a great calcium packed side dish for the kids to enjoy.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 8 ounces grated milk cheddar cheese (2 cups)
- Remove the tough part of the broccoli stems, usually the lower 3 to 4 inches.
- Cut the broccoli into 4 even portions.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Add the broccoli and cook until tender, 7 or 8 minutes.
- Drain broccoli and transfer to a 2 quart casserole or serving dish.
- In a medium heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour, 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring constantly, with a large wooden spoon, for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk and bring the sauce to a boil, whisking occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the cheese.
- Stir well.
- Pour the sauce over the broccoli and serve.
I cut the broccoli into flowerettes. Made the sauce in the micro. Lots of sauce. I heated it in the oven to brown top. The leftovers I blended and added a cup of chicken stock to for a comfort soup on these cold days. I did use more cheese then called off. I added 1 cup mozzarella cheese.