Prep 20 mins
Cook 22 mins
- 4 large shallots, peeled and halved
- 4 ounces whole mushrooms
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) bunch broccoli
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- Turn oven to 500 degrees.
- Spray a small baking pan or cast iron skillet with olive oil spray and add shallots and mushrooms.
- Spray the tops and put in the oven.
- Cook about 15 minutes, shaking the pan a few times during cooking.
- Remove when nicely browned all over.
- Coarsely chop shallots and slice mushrooms.
- Meanwhile, cut broccoli into florets, peel stalk and cut into rounds 1/4-inch thick.
- Put stalk slices in the bottom of a steamer basket in a large saucepan with about 1/2-inch of water.
- Add florets on top.
- Cover and put over medium-high heat for 7 minutes.
- Put oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add broccoli, shallots, and mushrooms.
- Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Stir a few times until heated through.
We loved the shallots and mushrooms roasting them this way. DH wants this repeated soon, and I don't blame him. This is so yummy and will go with about any meat of fish dish. Thanks for sharing!
I am so glad to finally find a recipe for broccoli this outstanding! A little more effort goes into the preparation of this dish, but well worth it! Roasting the shallots and mushrooms add an enormous amount of flavor. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a new recipe for broccoli. Would be wonderful served as a company dish. Thank you for posting, Dancer!
Good staple side dish. I didn't have shallots, so I used garlic and white onion. Very good with pasta.