Recipe by PaulaG
Broccoli is loaded with lots of vitamins A and C and several minerals, it is one of the most healthful veggies. This is a spiced up version that is low in fat and not low on flavor. The recipe comes from Williams Sonoma Essentials of Healthful Cooking.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, sliced crosswise into thin slices
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small skillet over medium-low heat combine the olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes.
- Heat, stirring frequently, just until the garlic begins to turn golden on the edges, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, strain through a fine-mesh sieve, reserving the oil and garlic in separate containers.
- Cut the broccoli into florets, trimming the stalks until they are about 1-2 inches long.
- Place the cut broccoli in steamer basket over boiling water, cover tightly and stem until crisp tender, 4-6 minutes.
- Place broccoli immediately into a serving dish, sprinkle with garlic flakes and 1 tablespoon of the oil.
- The remaining oil can be saved and used in other dishes later.