Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Dr. Fuhrman's new book, Eat for Health.
- 1⁄2 cup red lentil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups carrot juice
- 1 lb broccoli floret
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium vegetable bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sodium-free seasoning (such as Mrs. Dash)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- Add lentils, onions, garlic, and carrot juice to a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes until the lentils are soft and pale. Add more carrot juice as needed.
- Meanwhile, steam the broccoli until just tender.
- Put the cooked lentil mixture in a food processor or blender (or use an immersion blender right in the saucepan) with the seasonings and balsamic vinegar and blend to a smooth paste. Add some carrot juice if it is too thick.
- Place broccoli in a bowl and combine with sauce. Top with chopped pecans.