Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is adapted from a Taste of Home's What's Cooking Hoiday 2006. It is a quick and healthy way to prepare broccoli.
- 1 lb fresh broccoli floret
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 -3 slices oranges (optional)
- Place an inch of water in the bottom of a steamer pot and bring to a boil.
- Place the brocolli in the steamer basket and place over the boiling water; cover and steam until crisp tender, approximately 6 to 8 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients except the orange slices.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain the broccoli and place in a serving dish, pour sauce over, toss to coat and garnish with orange slices if desired.
Hi Paula, what a nice way to have broccoli, I used a wee bit splenda to sweeten my fruit was quite sweet and I had it for my lunch, all of it to myself. I was cooking for one and just had this with nothing else. I love broccoli and this was another way I can make it. It's so quick and easy I made all the sauce but just some of the broccoli, I think this would go very well with fish or chicken and really nice with ,I think that's what I will have it with next time. Thank you for posting . Made for Honor Thy Mother the diabetic forum May 2011.
I enjoyed this very much! It's a different way to serve broccoli and I will make it again probably with a broiled chicken breast so that I can use the sauce on the chicken as well! Thanks for an easy and good recipe Paula!