Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
The original of this recipe came from the Dec/Jan 2010 Taste of Home Healthy Cooking, but since I do love the nuts & cherries, it has been tweaked.
- 6 cups broccoli, cut into florets
- 2⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup cherries, dried
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Place broccoli in a steamer basket, then put that into a large saucepan containing an inch of water. Bring to a boil, then cover & steam 3 to 4 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute walnuts & garlic in the oil until garlic is tender.
- Stir in the cherries, salt, pepper flakes & broccoli, tossing to coat.
Deliciously different broccoli. The taste reminds me a bit of a broccoli salad, with the sweetness from the cherries. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe! Made for Healthy Choices tag game.
Love broccoli and this is definitely a winner in our book! Although I am mildly surprised that you didn't put cranberries in it. LOL! Thank you SydneyMike for sharing another of your wonderful recipes.
I looked at this recipe several times since you posted it and just wasn't sure about the combinations, but decided to give it a try. So glad I did. This is one of the best ways I have ever eaten broccoli! This is going into my Best of 2012 book! Great flavors and textures. Made for Best of 2011 game.