Recipe by LonghornMama
Broccoli is stir-fried with onions, mushrooms and walnuts and topped with cheese. So good, I could and have eaten only this for dinner. Also very attractive. From Lean and Luscious and Meatless by Bobbie Hinman and Millie Snyder.
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon instant vegetable broth mix (see Vegetable Broth Mix Vegetable Broth Mix)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 cups packed broccoli, cut into flowerets
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts (3/4 oz)
- 3 ounces low-fat cheddar cheese (3/4 cup)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine water, soy sauce, sherry, cornstarch, broth mix, oregano, garlic powder and pepper.
- Stir to dissolve cornstarch.
- Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and mushrooms.
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring.
- Add broccoli and walnuts.
- Cook, stirring, 3 minutes or until broccoli turns bright green.
- Stir soy sauce mixture and pour over vegetables.
- Cook, stirring, until vegetables are glazed and liquid has thickened and turned clear.
- Remove from heat, sprinkle evenly with cheese, cover and let stand 5 minutes before serving.