Recipe by pamsbm
Hearty vegetable dish perfect for entertaining, can be prepared the day before and baked when company arrives. From Great American Recipes card series.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli, cut into 2 inch flowerets (1 bunch)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup grated swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fine dry white bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook broccoli in boiling salted water for 5 minutes or until almost tender.
- Refresh under cold water and drain well.
- In medium saucepan, sauté onion in butter 3 minutes.
- Add flour. Stir constantly over low heat for 1 minute.
- Add milk, whisking constantly.
- Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly for 5 minutes.
- Mixture will thicken.
- Stir in Swiss cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Coat bottom of a 1 to 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with sauce.
- Arrange broccoli over sauce.
- Pour remaining sauce over broccoli.
- Combine Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle over casserole.
- Drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375°F for 20 to 24 minutes or until lightly browned.