Recipe by Chef Wes
This is an extra simple, slightly daring, very tasty addition for a standard table vegetable. I believe that it originated with Jamie Oliver. The yogurt mixture keeps well, and is then available to enliven broccoli even in an everyday meal.
Top Review by Outta Here
Nice change from plain broccoli. You didn't say what to do with the broccoli in the skillet, with the oil (step #2) so I skipped it, and just put the sauce on the steamed broccoli. Very flavorful.
- 2 lbs broccoli
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 5 cardamom pods
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 lemon
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the broccoli, and break it into its florets, and cook 4 to 5 minutes at the most in salted water. Drain.
- Heat oil in a skillet, and add the drained broccoli.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast the cumin, fennel and cardamom until fragrant, about 3 to 4 minutes, and then grind them in a mortar and pestle.
- Stir most of the spice mixture into the yogurt with the juice of the lemon.
- Drizzel the spiced yogurt over the broccoli, and garnish with remaining spice mixture and some zest of the lemon.