Recipe by PinkCherryBlossom
My niece calls this angel vegetables because the egg white looks like a halo on top of the broccoli it makes an interesting side dish for a formal meal.
- 175 g broccoli florets
- 15 g butter
- 15 g flour
- 150 ml milk
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 90 g grated aged cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, separated
- paprika (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the broccoli in boiling water until tender but still crisp (about 4 mins).
- Melt the butter in a pan and stir in the flour. Cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
- Gradually add the milk and bring to the boil stirring until thickened. Stir in mustard and lemon juice and season if desired.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in 2/3 of the grated cheese until melted.
- drain the broccoli and place in an ovenproof dish, pour the cheese sauce over the broccoli.
- Whisk the egg white until very stiff and season if desired. Pile the egg white on top of the broccoli and make a well in the middle.
- Drop the egg yolk into the well and sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Place dish under a moderate grill for 4 mins until the cheese has melted and the merangue has browned.
- Serve garnished with paprika.