Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Sounds like a nice side dish. From Bon Appetit, November 2001.
- 59.16 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 4.92 ml chopped fennel seed
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 fresh fennel bulb, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise (about 1 pound)
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into long strips
- 3 large head broccoli, cut into florets (about 7 cups)
- 4.92 ml herbes de provence (see note below)
- 158.51 ml canned low sodium chicken broth
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add fennel seeds and stir until toasted, about 3 minutes.
- Add shallots and saute until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add sliced fennel bulb and red bell pepper and saute until just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add broccoli.
- Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons oil over vegetables.
- Stir in herbes de Provence.
- Pour broth over.
- Simmer until broccoli is crisp-tender and liquid evaporates, about 6 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Herbes de Provence is a dried herb mixture available at specialty foods stores and in the spice section of some supermarkets. A combination of dried thyme, basil, savory, and fennel seeds can be substituted.