Sounds like a nice side dish. From Bon Appetit, November 2001.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fennel seed
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 fresh fennel bulb, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise (about 1 pound)
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into long strips
- 3 large head broccoli, cut into florets (about 7 cups)
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence (see note below)
- 2/3 cup canned low sodium chicken broth
- 1Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- 2Add fennel seeds and stir until toasted, about 3 minutes.
- 3Add shallots and saute until golden, about 3 minutes.
- 4Add sliced fennel bulb and red bell pepper and saute until just tender, about 3 minutes.
- 5Add broccoli.
- 6Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons oil over vegetables.
- 7Stir in herbes de Provence.
- 8Pour broth over.
- 9Simmer until broccoli is crisp-tender and liquid evaporates, about 6 minutes.
- 10Season with salt and pepper.
- 11Herbes de Provence is a dried herb mixture available at specialty foods stores and in the spice section of some supermarkets. A combination of dried thyme, basil, savory, and fennel seeds can be substituted.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli With Fennel and Red Bell Pepper
Serving Size: 1 (309 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 213.7
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 130.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 6.3 g
- Protein 10.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence