Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
An easy side dish to have with any meal! The cheese sauce makes this the ultimate vegetable. It also makes your dinner plate colorful and pretty! Quick preparation.
- 2 cups broccoli (fresh or frozen)
- boiling water
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Place broccoli in boiling water and add salt. Cook until tender.
- For cheese sauce: In separate saucepan melt butter over low heat. Gradually stir in flour until smooth.
- While stirring constantly, add milk slowly. Stir until smooth. Add salt and cheese, stirring until cheese is melted. Don't overcook.
- Serve broccoli with cheese sauce on top.
The perfect broccoli and cheese.
I followed the directions exactly, didn't tweak it in the least. Not only did it come out too thick, but there's an awful oily film I can't seem to get rid of. What did I do wrong?
I don't know why but after using the 5 TBs butter and 2 TB flour, mine would not come together smoothly. I added the milk anyway, and it still would not get smooth. I threw it away and started again, and same thing. I used 2% milk. After adding the cheese, It really needed more milk so I added over 1/2 cup more to it and it came together smoothly and tasted great. Maybe it was the 2% milk that caused it?