Recipe by Latchy
This is a delicious recipe from the Cook Book called the Not so Humble Vegetable.
Top Review by threeovens
This was very tasty. The sauce didn't taste like much on it's own, but paired with the broccoli is was smooth and sophisticated. The serving size turned out to be 1/2 a head of broccoli, which my husband I thought was kind of a lot. He almost ate his entire portion (because it was so good) and I, uh, actually finished mine (again, it was good). I made the cheese sauce early in the day, so it got kind of gloppy. I microwaved it and it was still too thick, but I made do. That's why I am not sure I did this right, but it sure tasted great!
- 750 g broccoli
- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 40 g butter
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon grainy mustard
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil, steam or microwave broccoli until just tender; drain.
- Cook bacon, stirring in small dry pan until browned, drain on absorbent paper.
- Melt butter in medium pan; add flour, stir over heat until bubbling.
- Remove from heat, gradually stir in mustard, wine and milk.
- Stir over heat until sauce boils and thickens; remove from heat, stir in cheeses.
- Stand broccoli upright in shallow oiled 1 1/3 litre (5 1/2 cup) ovenproof dish.
- Pour over cheese mixture, scatter bacon over top, cook under hot grill about 5 minutes or until browned and heated through.