Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Broccoli is America's second most popular green vegetable. Not only does it belong to the cancer-fighting cruciferous family, it is an excellent source of vitamins. It is very versatile and packs quite a punch to meals. EatingWell Magazine
- 2 tablespoons walnut pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sliced shallot, thinly sliced (4-5 large shallots)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs broccoli, cut into florets
- Preheat oven to 450ºF.
- Place walnuts in a pie plate and toast in the oven 5 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Transfer to a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add shallots and cook, stirring often, until deep golden brown, about 10 minutes. (Add a tablespoon or two of water if the mixture gets too dry.)
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook broccoli in boiling salted water until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Drain the broccoli and add to the shallots in the skillet; toss to combine.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with the toasted walnuts.