Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
- kosher salt
- Trim broccoli into flowerets.
- Peel stem and cut into rounds about 3/8-inch thick, set aside.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over very low heat.
- Add garlic and anchovy filets.
- Cook gently until garlic just barely turns golden, being careful not to let it burn.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over moderate heat, reduce volume of skim milk by half, stirring frequently with a wire whisk, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic-anchovy mixture to milk and continue to cook, stirring with a wooden spoon or whisk until the sauce forms streaks and you can begin to see the bottom of the pan when the sauce is stirred, keep warm.
- Steam broccoli until just tender, about 7 minutes.
- Pour sauce over and serve.