Recipe by KT Scarlet
My little girl calls my broccoli cheese soup "broccoli trees" soup. I've been working on nailing this down, and after a few tries finally hit upon the mix that my family really enjoys.
- 1 (16 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (16 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh broccoli, chopped (mostly "trees")
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream or 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (or use the amount to your taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour broth and chopped broccoli into a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until boiling.
- Add heavy cream (fewer carbs and richer flavor). Return to boil, then simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Add butter and stir to melt.
- Mix flour with 1/4 cup cold water and mix in to soup.
- Stir constantly for about 1 minute.
- Add cheddar cheese (I used mild, and finely shredded so it would melt quickly.).
- Serve hot and enjoy!