Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great vegetarian pasta dish from Canadian Living's Make It Tonight. All you need is a crunchy green salad and you've got dinner.
- 1 lb cheese tortellini
- 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook tortellini in a large pot of boiling water until tender but firm (about 5 min).
- Add broccoli and cook until tender (about 3 min).
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine tomatoes, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened slightly (about 10 min).
- Add green onions and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add sauce to pasta/broccoli mixture and toss together.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
this was very good although I did the directions a little different that stated I sauteed the diced tomato with garlic, oregano and chili flakes in some olive oil, then added in the steamed broccoli, tortellini and green onions at the end of cooking, we enjoyed this thanks Dreamer!
good recipe. i made this a little differently. I used a sliced red onion which I fried with the garlic in a little olive oil before adding the tomatoes. I added a teaspoon of sugar to offset the acidity of the tomatoes, a teaspoon of mixed herbs, and a vegetable stock cube in the sauce instead of salt and pepper. then I mixed everything together and topped with the grated cheese before grilling it till the top was browned and crispy. I only used 7oz of tortellini and halved the amount of tomatoes and kept the rest of the ingredients as per recipe. we had 2very generous servings.
Good - easy and quick! My kids picked out the tortellini (there's no foolin' them!), but we all enjoyed it. Only thing I did was substitute Italian Seasoning for the oregano. Thanks for the recipe!