Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A somewhat different approach to the usual broccoli casserole. A friend of mine gave me this recipe back in the seventies. We often had it on special occasions. I use Pepperidge Farm Herb Stuffing Mix.
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen chopped broccoli
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounces herb stuffing mix
- Cook broccoli until tender. Drain. Place in casserole that has been sprayed with Pam.
- Melt 5 T. of butter over medium heat, add flour and bouillon cubes. Stir. Add milk.
- Cook and stir until smooth.
- Mix with broccoli in casserole.
- Topping: Melt 4T butter. Add water and stuffing. When water is absorbed, spread over broccoli.
- Bake at 400°F for 20 to 30 minutes.
Brought this to a pot luck dinner and everyone really enjoyed it! Although I had trouble with steps 2/3...it kept turning into "playdough". I ended up making it over twice, and added more milk and whisked constantly at low heat, then strained it to remove chunks. Despite the challenge, I will make this again!