Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 broccoflower, from Broccoflower Archer (made using broccoli-see note in description for using broccoli in place of Broccoflower Archer)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 15 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional depending on your taste)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- parmesan cheese (to garnish)
- fresh bay leaf (to garnish)
- Heat olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in hot oil until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir garlic through the onion; cook and stir until garlic is fragrant and slightly soft, another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place broccoli, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, chopped chicken and crushed red pepper if using into the stockpot. Reduce heat to medium-low, bring the mixture to a simmer, and cook 20-30 minutes till heated through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, garnish with just a bit of parmesan cheese and one or two fresh bay leafs.
Oh my goodness, yum yum. I love broccoli and all of the great things in this warming and comforting soup. I enjoyed it last evening for dinner with fresh hot biscuits. It not hard to make and uses things that I usually have on hand. I might add that this is a bright point of feel good enjoyment in this season of wonderful but rich indulgences. Thanks very much Deb.