Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This luscious dish combines tofu and broccoli in a sherry "creme" sauce with spectacular results! From the cookbook Lean and Luscious and Meatless.
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli florets
- 12 ounces tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (medium or firm)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 9-inch pie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook broccoli according to package directions; drain well.
- Cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces and arrange in prepared pan.
- Place tofu between towels and gently squeeze out the excess water.
- Place tofu on top of broccoli.
- Place flour in a small bowl and add a few tablespoons of milk, stirring to form a paste.
- Gradually add remaining milk, stirring.
- Melt margarine in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add milk mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in Cheddar cheese, mustard, onion flakes, sherry, salt and pepper.
- Spoon sauce evenly over tofu and broccoli.
- Combine wheat germ and Parmesan cheese and sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
This was relatively easy to make, but just needs some crunch. Next time I will add chopped pecans to the wheat germ and skip the parmesan. I used wheat flour, diced onions regular fat cheddar cheese. Very yummy way to get broccoli into your system!