Recipe by Whisper
This luscious dish combines tofu and broccoli in a sherry "creme" sauce with spectacular results! From the cookbook Lean and Luscious and Meatless.
Top Review by Claudia Ivonne Franco
This was relatively easy to make, but just needs some crunch. Next time I will add chopped pecans to the wheat germ and skip the parmesan. I used wheat flour, diced onions regular fat cheddar cheese. Very yummy way to get broccoli into your system!
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli florets
- 12 ounces tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (medium or firm)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 9-inch pie pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook broccoli according to package directions; drain well.
- Cut into 2- to 3-inch pieces and arrange in prepared pan.
- Place tofu between towels and gently squeeze out the excess water.
- Place tofu on top of broccoli.
- Place flour in a small bowl and add a few tablespoons of milk, stirring to form a paste.
- Gradually add remaining milk, stirring.
- Melt margarine in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add milk mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in Cheddar cheese, mustard, onion flakes, sherry, salt and pepper.
- Spoon sauce evenly over tofu and broccoli.
- Combine wheat germ and Parmesan cheese and sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.