Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is absolutely one of THE most delicious dishes anywhere. Not everyone can find Farmers Sausage which is a thick pork based smoked sausage made by Mennonites of the Central prairies. Substitutes just don't cut it.
- 4 lbs farmers sausage
- 1 large sweet potato, sliced thin
- 1 large head broccoli
- 3 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- In a pot of water, cook the sweet potato slices until almost cooked.
- Fry up the Farmers sausage, cut in bite sized bits and set aside.
- Mix the cooked sweet potatoes, the Farmers sausage bits together with the orange juice concentrate in a pot.
- Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced broccoli flowerlets.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Cover and simmer another 5 minutes, addint more orange juice concentrate if necessary.
- Cook until the broccoli is just tender.
- Serve immediately.
I've made this recipe twice now and it really grows on you! My parents are from a Mennonite background and it is nice to have a "new" recipe for farmer sausage. You wouldn't expect it to be tasty considering the few spice ingredients but it is the blend of farmer sausage juices and the subtle orange and nutmeg that give this dish a unique, addicting flavor.