Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Great Broccoli dish for a cold winter's night.
- 2 packages frozen broccoli
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 small onion, chopped
- salt and pepper
- rye bread
- Layer bread in greased pan (I spray with Pam).
- layer half of broccoli on bread.
- layer 1/2 of Mozz cheese and 1/2 of cheddar.
- sprinkle half of onion and garlic and a little salt and pepper.
- Repeat layers, bread, broccoli, onion, garlic and salt and pepper.
- Mix eggs and milk and pour over.
- Bake 350* for 30 min or until brown and bubbly.
- Top with remaining cheese and return to oven until cheese has melted.
We liked this enough that I will try it again. I took some liberties with this recipe by using fresh steamed broccoli. I also used some very dense, home made, whole grain-sunflower seed bread. I also used a 9X13 pan. After putting in the eggs and milk as it called for and seeing how much liquid was soaked up, and reading the other review, I increased the liquid to 6 eggs and 2 1/4 C of milk. I also beat the salt and pepper into the liquid. It also needed much longer to bake, almost double the time, probably to allow all the egg to set. I will continue to tinker with the recipe however, possibly adding more liquid the next time I make it. On the whole, it had a reasonable flavor but it's not ready for company or pot luck.
I guess I need clearer instructions, especially since this is the first time I've made a strata. I used a 9x13 pan and enough bread to cover the bottom of the pan well. It came out way too dry, tasted mostly bread and onion. I like the idea though, and will try it again, next time in a smaller dish, with less bread, less onion, and maybe double the egg/milk mixture. I will update my review when I try this again.