1/1 Photo of Broccoli Soup With Cheese
This recipe uses MacLaren's Imperial Cheese, a very sharp cold-pack cheddar product that is available in Canada. I find it gives you more cheesy flavor for your calorie buck. You can always add more cheese if you aren't worried about those pesky calories!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut the broccoli into florets. Peel the stalks and cut them up too.
- 2Put the broccoli and the stock in a medium sized pot over medium heat. Cover and cook until the broccoli is very tender. This will take 10-15 minutes. Do not undercook the broccoli or your soup will not be smooth.
- 3While the broccoli is cooking, melt the butter in a small pot over medium heat. When it starts to bubble add the garlic, and stir for about 15 seconds until the garlic is fragrant. Do not let the butter or the garlic brown.
- 4When the butter is bubbly again, add the flour and stir with a wooden spoon until the flour is well incorporated and the mixture is beginning to froth.
- 5Take the mixture off the heat and add the milk. Whisk briskly and return the pot to the burner. Add salt, and cook, stirring quite frequently until the mixture thickens. If you notice the bottom starting to color, reduce the heat.
- 6Once the mixture has thickened, add the cheese and stir until it is incorporated.
- 7By this time the broccoli should be cooked. Take it off the heat.
- 8Use a hand blender to puree the broccoli mixture. (Or put it in a regular blender).
- 9Add the cheese sauce and blend.
- 10Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli Soup With Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 116.4
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 13.1 mg
- Sodium 181.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: