Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This cheddar crusted broccoli soup is delicious. The stems and florets are added to the soup separately so that the stems will cook until tender and the florets won't overcook.
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 lbs broccoli, stems and florets separated and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, choped. or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 6 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups packed grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
- Melt 3 TBS butter in heavy medium pot over medium high heat.
- Add broccoli stems and onion; saute until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and tarragon; saute 1 minute.
- Add stock; bring to boil.
- Simmer uncovered until broccoli is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in cream.
- Mix remaining 3 TBS butter with flour in small bowl to make paste.
- Whisk paste into soup.
- Add broccoli florets.
- Simmer until soup thickens and florets are tender, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly, then refriferate uncovered until cold. cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before continuing.) Preheat broiler.
- Place 6 ovenproof bowls on a baking sheet.
- Divide hot soup amongst bowls.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup cheese over each.
- Broil until cheese melts and bubbles around edges, about 4 minutes.