Recipe by lazyme
This is a nice soup from Bon Appetit. Be sure to use fresh tarragon for the best flavor. This soup is not thick and creamy, so sometimes I puree half of it for a creamier texture.
Top Review by mommymakeit4u
Such a yummy soup.. I used 5 cups of broth, and a bit less butter overall. Used a nice extra sharp white cheddar with a little bit of swiss cheese. Not sure why but I couldn't get a nice crust on the top while it was under the broiler, the cheese seemed to sink to the bottom. Either way, it was delicious.
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 lbs broccoli, bite size pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon
- 6 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy medium pot over medium-high heat.
- Add broccoli stems and onion; sauté until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and tarragon; sauté 1 minute.
- Add stock; bring to boil.
- Simmer uncovered until broccoli is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in cream.
- Mix remaining 3 tablespoons butter with flour in small bowl to make paste.
- Whisk paste into soup.
- Add broccoli florets.
- Simmer until soup thickens and florets are tender, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly, then refrigerate uncovered until cold. Cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before continuing.)
- Preheat broiler.
- Place 6 ovenproof soup bowls on baking sheet.
- Divide soup among bowls.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup cheese over each.
- Broil until cheese melts and bubbles around edges, about 4 minutes.