Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another Down Home w/ the Neelys recipe. I am huge fan of their show and their recipes.
Make and share this Broccoli Soup - Down Home W/ the Neelys recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh broccoli
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in heavy medium pot over medium-high heat.
- Add broccoli, onion, carrot, salt and pepper and saute until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, until the flour reaches a blonde color.
- Add stock and bring to boil.
- Simmer uncovered until broccoli is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Pour in cream.
- With an immersion blender, puree the soup.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste, and then replace the lid back on the pot.
I've made this recipe since I was a young girl and saw the show. It is simply delicious and everyone loves it.
I made this soup for the family a few days ago, and it was a huge success - In fact, my daughter has already requested it again for tonight's dinner! I doubled the recipe, and to simplify the preparation, I used a can of sliced carrots instead of fresh. As I don't possess an immersion blender, I used a potato masher. I didn't bother removing the vegetables in order to mash them; I simply immersed the masher inside the soup pot until the vegetables were blended. I left some of the broccoli unmashed, to give the soup more texture. I served the soup with a homemade Italian loaf, and it was a delicious, nutritious meal that we all enjoyed! Thanks for sharing, Tigerlillyblu!