Recipe by P4
This is a simple, comforting, delicious soup. You can dress it up for a special occasion if you like, but I like it during the week with some fresh bread. A very quick meal, and a great winter dinner.
Top Review by Taylor in Belgium
This soup is so easy to make and tastes fantastic! I made it once the original way, but have since added shallots, instead of cream I tried sour cream, that was also good! This time I am going to try it with low fat yogurt, always a pleaser!!!
- 1 -2 head broccoli, trimmed and chopped
- 1 -2 potato, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 -6 cups vegetable stock or 5 -6 cups chicken stock
- salt and pepper, tt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup plain yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Reserve several broccoli florets for garnish.
- Take the rest of the broccoli, the potato, garlic, the stock, a heavy pinch of salt and place all into a large pot over high heat.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are soft, 20 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, cook the reserved florets in a little salted water until just done and still bright green.
- Drain and set aside for service.
- At this point add the curry powder, if using.
- If not, transfer the vegetables to a blender or food processor (or use an imersion blender- I love mine!) and puree the vegetables with some of the stock until well pureed.
- Return to the pot.
- Taste, adjust for salt and pepper.
- Add the cream or yogurt, stir to combine, heat to serving temperature.
- Serve by spooning into bowls or cups, put a few drops of cream or yogurt in the center to decorate, and place a few of the reserved broccoli florets on top for garnish.