My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs broccoli (about 1 1/2 bunches)
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth, heated
- 4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- salt and pepper
- 1Peel the stalks of the broccoli, and cut them into 1/2 inch lengths.
- 2Break the tops into small florets.
- 3Steam the broccoli for 5 minutes or until it is crisp tender.
- 4Plunge it into cold water to cool it off and drain it.
- 5In a large saucepan, cook the onion, celery and garlic in the butter over moderately low heat for 5 minutes or until the onion is softened.
- 6Add the flour and the herbs and cook the mixture, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- 7Whisk in the broth in a stream.
- 8Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking.
- 9Simmer the mixture for 5 minutes and add the milk.
- 10Heat the soup until it is hot, but do not let it boil.
- 11Add the broccoli, and salt and pepper to taste, and cook the mixture until it is heated through.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli Soup
Serving Size: 1 (540 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 231.2
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 23.4 mg
- Sodium 466.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.1 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 11.8 g