Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I made this recently and it was excellent! A package of frozen broccoli can be used instead of fresh. Thank you to Tweetybird40 on the Weight Watchers site.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon marjoram or 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (I didn't use) (optional)
- 1 cup skim milk
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute until tender.
- Add broccoli, chicken broth, marjoram/oregano, and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until broccoli is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in milk.
- Puree in two batches in a blender.
- Heat through to serve.
I liked this recipe for PAC fall 2008. DH and DS were not thrilled at the pureed soup but liked the chunky better. I pureed 1 batch (1/2) left chunky the other 1/2. I did not use the cayenne in either as that was optional. Used homemade chicken broth, fresh broc and onion from the garden and 2% milk as that is hat I had. I think it needs something for flavor though. Personal preference. This is a great starter recipe and one I will use often as I love brocolli and it is soooo good for you. I will make again as soup season is upon us. Will definitely add garlic and some pepper. Maybe add some bits of chicken or cheese as well. Thank you PAC baby for another saver recipe! This is going into my soup cookbook and sent to DD as she loves brocolli soup.
Made this using homemade chicken broth and more than a pinch of cayenne pepper, but it still tasted somewhat bland and lacking. This review is based simply on the ingredients given--perhaps a little doctoring up could give it that added oomph.