Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This came from a website, I can't remember which one.
- 1 lb yellow potato, peeled
- 4 cups medium broccoli florets
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Place the potatoes in a deep saucepan and cover with cold water to a depth of 2". Cook uncovered over high heat until the potatoes can be easily pierced with a knife, about 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes cook, steam the broccoli until the broccoli is very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Drain in a colander.
- Drain the potatoes and place them in a deep bowl.
- Using a sturdy fork, mash the potatoes into roughly 1" chunks.
- Add the broccoli, mashing until only small lumps of the broccoli remain.
- Add the milk, 2 tablespoons at a time, mashing until the texture is pleasing to you.
- To serve, spoon the smashed potatoes into a serving bowl.
- With the back of the spoon, smooth the top, leaving several shallow indentations.
- You may serve with butter or margarine.