1/1 Photo of Broccoli Slaw With Turkey Bacon and Water Chestnuts
Enduring Gastronomy's Note:
This popular potluck classic is lighter with a yogurt-based dressing. The original recipe called for 1/4 cup yogurt, 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayo, and 2 tsp sugar. But, I replaced it with 1/2 cup yogurt and 1 tsp Splenda. I had to make sure the waterchestnuts aren't dripping wet, otherwise the dressing will be watery. (Eating Well, Winter 2004)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 12 ounces broccoli coleslaw mix, shredded or 1 1/2 lbs broccoli
- 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt or 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 (8 ounce) can low-sodium sliced water chestnuts, rinsed, and coursely chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely diced (1/2 medium)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (optional) or 1/2 cup unsalted sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat, turning frequently, until crisp (5 to 8 min).
- 2Drain bacon on paper towels.
- 3If using whole broccoli, trim off ends and chop the rest into 1/4-inch sticks.
- 4Chop bacon coursely.
- 5In a large bowl, whisk yogurt, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- 6Add water chestnuts, onion, broccoli, and if available, nuts or seeds.
- 7Toss to coat.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Broccoli Slaw With Turkey Bacon and Water Chestnuts
Serving Size: 1 (45 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 40.6
- Calories from Fat 14
- Total Fat 1.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 6.9 mg
- Sodium 239.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
broccoli coleslaw mix
low-sodium sliced water chestnuts