Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This cheese manicotti recipe is delicious! The red pepper sauce gives it a nice flavor. I have never made homemade sauce before - but this is wonderful and super easy! My picky kids will eat this and don't notice the broccoli slaw in the manicotti - yay! Vegetarian and filling. Try it!
- 8 manicotti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup broccoli slaw mix
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 (16 ounce) carton ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian spices
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic
- 1 cup bottled roast sweet red pepper, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook manicotti shells according to package directions and be sure to salt your water. Drain the manicotti shells and let cool. Meanwhile, saute the broccoli slaw and garlic in the olive oil until softened. In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper. Add the broccoli slaw mixture and combine. I put the cheese mixture in a large freezer bag and cut off a corner tip to pipe into the manicotti shells. Place stuffed manicotti shells in a 13x9 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Next combine the diced tomatoes (do not drain) with the chopped red peppers. I use a blender to combine them together because my family doesn't like "chunky" sauces. Top the manicotti with the sauce and bake covered for 30 minutes. You can uncover the dish add extra mozzarella on top for the last 10 minutes of baking. YUM!
Super flavor ,however I could not manage the freezer bag trick and ended up just making a slit down the side of the mannicotti and folding over to enclose the filling.I think you could use more than 1 cup of broccli slaw as it cooks down. Good dish for lent reheats well.