Recipe by zeldaz51
Adapted from a Smitten Kitchen recipe. No bacon, a lighter dressing, more nutritious than one made with bagged slaw mix, quick to put together, and just as good the next day. Pepitas are pumpkin seeds.
- 2 heads broccoli, crowns preferred
- 2 large carrots
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup hulled sunflower seeds or 1⁄4 cup unsalted pepitas
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk, well-shaken
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt, pepper to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim broccoli and cut it into large chunks. Chop into small pieces or use the slicing blade in your food processor to chop it finely. Trim, peel (or scrub) the carrots, and grate them coarsely.
- Toss the sliced broccoli and shredded carrots with the cranberries, red onion, and sunflower seeds in a large bowl. Meanwhile, whisk the remaining ingredients together in another bowl, seasoning generously. Toss the dressing into the salad and chill before serving.