Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great weeknight supper. When you want to eat healthy and can't take another bite of chicken...this meal will really hit the spot! I found this in an issue of Taste of Home's Quick Cooking several years ago.
- 1 lb cooked turkey sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices (I use Jennie-O brand)
- 1 bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 1⁄2 cup sliced red onion
- 15 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 cups cooked spiral shaped pasta
- While pasta cooks, saute sausage, broccoli and onion in large skillet, 5-6 minutes or until broccoli is crisp-tender.
- Add tomatoes, basil, parsley and sugar. Simmer, covered 10 minutes.
- Add pasta and heat through.
Yum! I just finished eating this yummy dish. My family has been enjoying this recipe since my mom found it in Quick Cooking. Now I cook it for my husband, who loves it. We like to sprinkle cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes on top of individual servings to up the spice a bit. Also, FYI 3 cups cooked rotini pasta = 1 1/3 cups dried pasta.
I think this recipe's pizazz relies on quality sausage that appeals to you. We both enjoyed even the leftovers the next day. I skipped the sugar and added a bit of fresh oregano and thyme since I had it. Great share, Empire920.
Tasty and quick weeknight meal. Easy to throw together for a light and enjoyable dinner. For a busy night, I refrigerated a bowl of the cut up broccoli, sausage and onion so this was done in the time it takes to make the pasta. I would put this at 4-6 servings. Thanks for sharing the recipe!