Prep 20 mins
Cook 46 mins
From Family Circle 9/7/04.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, cleaned stems removed, sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (28 ounce) canrecipe-ready diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bunch Broccolini, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions and cook 5 min over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add garlic sausage and mushrooms; cook 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add wine; cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes, paste, salt, oregano, nutmeg, pepper. Bring to boil. Lower heat to low and cook, covered for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broccolini during the last 5 minutes.
- Add in half and half and simmer, covered for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve over ziti or penne.