Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 min
A nice lunch salad.
Make and share this Broccoli Salad With Gouda recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 cup toasted slivered almonds (or pine nuts)
- 6 -8 ounces gouda cheese, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (smoked or regular)
- 1⁄8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste
- Cook broccoli in boiling salted water for 1 minute. Drain well; rinse with cold water; drain well agin.
- Combine the broccoli with onion, tomatoes, nuts and cheese.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, sugar, pepper and salt; pour over salad mixture and toss to coat.
I save 5 stars for recipes that I think are a cut above the rest... and this salad gets five stars because I liked the texture and taste combination of cherry (grape) tomatoes, Gouda cheese, and broccoli.. the pinenuts were a lovely added bonus as they gave the crunch of something a little unexpected in the mix. Gouda, (the city, where the cheese of the same name is made) is about 40 kms from me, so there will never be any excuse for me to not find Gouda cheese for this at any time of year :) I didn't use almonds as I like pinenuts more, I used only 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar becuase I didn't want it really acidic and I made it twice, the first time with onions and the second time without and decided I liked mine better without the onions. Other reviewers are right, this doesn't have too much flavour on it's own, but on a busy buffett / salad/ or BBQ table, I thought that it was actually nice to have something that was both refreshing , tasty and fairly neutral to off-set oft accompanying marinated meats, curries and other dishes where flavour explodes and hogs the limelight. THIS dish is the perfect quiet supporting cast member that brings balance to a such a meal. The final reasons for awarding 5 stars... nice to have a salad that *isn't* doused in dressing and what a fun way to eat brocolli !!! I will be making this very often every summer from now on! Please see my rating system, a wonderful 5 stars ! Thanks Parsley !!!
I did not enjoy this salad, It was too much crunchy broccoli. I do not like smoked gouda, I have now discovered. A disappointment for me.