Recipe by PhoenixReborn
This is a cold salad with a lightly sweetened dressing. I created it after sampling a similar salad at a party. I made it "kid friendly"- no onion, nothing really strong in it. As a result, my kids love it- want it in their lunchboxes, etc... It is easily modified by using optional raisins, real sugar instead of artificial sweetener, using peanuts instead of cashews.
Top Review by Rinshinomori
Outstanding! My husband loves broccoli and I'm always looking for new recipes using this wonderful vegetable. The only change I made was using regular sugar instead of splenda to our taste. Thank you for posing this great tasting recipe!
- 1 lb fresh broccoli florets
- 6 slices bacon, cooked crisp and chopped coarse
- 1⁄3 cup cashews, cut coarse
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise, Best Foods, Hellmanns Mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 3 (1 g) packets Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional)
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a good size pot (6 quart or larger) of boiling water, place the florets of broccoli and cook until water just reaches a boil again. This will result in tender-crisp broccoli.
- Once water reaches a boil, remove broccoli from heat and dump into a colander.
- Douse with cold water to stop the cooking.
- In a bowl, mix the mayo, cream and Splenda.
- Stir in the nuts and bacon (and optional raisins).
- Lightly toss in the broccoli.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding salt and pepper, a little extra mayo, Splenda or cream if needed.