Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
I love the vinegary, sweet crunch of Broccoli Salad,but the sugars and fats in the original are a no-no now. This is a satisfying alternative.
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 6 tablespoons bacon, crumbles (from the salad aisle)
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped nuts (pecans, cashews, peanuts, etc.)
- 1⁄4 cup walden farms thousand island dressing
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cp. Splenda granular
- Mix first four ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients.
- Drizzle the dressing mixture over the veggies, and toss.
- Best if allowed to chill in refrigerator several hours or overnight.
Tasty. We used unsalted peanuts for the nut selection. I forgot to crush them first, but they were find as is. I was concerned that there wouldn't be enough dressing, but once it had a chance to marinate overnight, the small amount of dressing worked out quite nicely and certainly reduced the amount of calories that otherwise would have been in the salad. I was also afraid that it would be too sweet because there is a lot of Splenda in the dressing, but that also worked out well. Made for the My 3 Chefs game.