Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A very tasty salad that's made the day before. Omit the cayenne if you wish.
- 1 head broccoli
- 1⁄2 lb swiss cheese, grated
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
- Wash the broccoli and cut the florets into bite sized pieces.
- Combine broccoli with the cheese in a large bowl.
- Add the green onions and toss well.
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayo, sugar, vinegar and cayenne.
- Pour over the broccoli mixture and stir well.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Just before serving stir in half the bacon and sprinkle the other half on top.
I actually used this as our main dish this evening along with some biscuits. I used turkey bacon and 1/2 fat mayo. It has excellent flavor and isn't difficult to make. I really glad that there are leftovers for tomorrow's lunch. Made fro Culinary Quest 2014.
Yum! I will definately make this again. I needed a vegetable for camping this weekend and picked this because it looked like I could do most of the work ahead. I mixed the dressing ahead, and brought it in a small Ziplock container. Then I put the broccoli and green onion in a gallon sized zip bag, along with a store-bought bag of precooked bacon crumbles (on hand), and a smaller bag with the grated cheese (I used cheddar because it was on hand), then just combined it all the day I needed to serve it. Of six adults and four children, only one said they didn't like it (picky eater), one said it's okay, and the rest really liked it, and wanted me to pass on the recipe. Even the 1 and 3 year olds liked it!
Very good, easy recipe and the plus is that it can be made ahead on time!Thanks for posting this!