Recipe by Stormy Nights in Canada
This is a great salad for a family gathering. Easy to make and since I follow a low sugar and low fat diet, I just modified an old recipe to suit my needs. * I ALSO HAVE A COSTCO MEMBERSHIP AND I BUY THE BAG OF BROCCOLI FLORETS AND CRUMBLED BACON.
Top Review by Annacia
This is fresh, crisp and delicious. I used turkey bacon and in place of the Splenda brown and ultra light sprinkle of Splenda granular, far less than ask for but sweetness is a personal taste thing and easily adjusted for all. The salad with it's bacon made a light meal for me tonight that was very enjoyable. I will certainly make this again, it will be perfect as the weather warms here in the Great White North. For that matter, it was perfect this evening!
- 6 cups broccoli florets, bite size
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 cups crumbled bacon
- 1 cup ultra low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- sunflower seeds
- cheddar cheese
- flax seed
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the broccoli, onion and bacon and set aside. In a separate bowl mix together the mayo, splenda and vinegar. The amount of brown sugar blend can be adjusted to suit your taste. Depending on the day I will use anywhere from 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup. This dressing will soak into the broccoli and soften it a bit. My family and I prefer to mix it about a half hour before serving, allowing it to soften the broccoli yet allowing it to still be firm.
- I often mix flax into the salad for the added health benefit. Hope you enjoy and don't be afraid to play with the additional toppings. Making a recipe your own is sometimes the best part!